Like Webster's dictionary we're Morocco bound



The Regulares ("Regulars") formed, along with the Foreign Legion, the Army of Africa.  These were battle harden and brutal troops who inspired fear in their enemies.  Luckily for the Republic they were all located in Spanish Morocco and couldn't reach the mainland.  Unluckily for the Republic, their commander, General Franco, had friends called Hitler and Mussolini who offered to airlift the army into Spain.

Prior to the battle of Jarmara it was the Moroccan who crept upon the sentries of a vital bridge holding and silenced them with their knifes.  The alarm was still raised and the bridge was blown.  Unfortunately the bridge raised into the air and then fell back on it's base intact.

In the battle the International Brigade were impressed by the professionalism of the Regulares.  They crept ever onward using what little cover there was effectively and offering no clear targets to the defenders.

I painted the Moroccans to wargame standard but I finished them off with a soft tone wash as I find this produces a better finish on browns and greens and looks less "dirty" then the hard tone wash.

In AWA the Regulares have good Initiative and great Morale.  A Regulares battalion consists of three ten man squads.  There is an option rule, which I think I will employ, that the Regulares don't suffer tank fear.  While the Regulares were good troops in rural environments they were unused to urban fighting.  If I eventually get to the Battle of Madrid (that is the plan) then I will possibly reduce their Initiative in street fighting combat.

I will mix these figures with other colonial troops I completed for my Rapid Fire Operation Compass game.  A few battle reports made it to Alex's blog:
http://stormofsteelwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/battle-of-nibeiwa-9-december-1940-aar.html
http://stormofsteelwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/the-battle-of-tummar-west-8th-december.html







¡No pasarán!

Comments

Popular Posts